A few years back, I lead a club run up here and I think that it might be time to do it again. This time we’ll go a few weeks later and maybe to try and catch the Aspens when they change color. I am thinking two days of easy, scenic 4-wheeling. Travel up on Thursday afternoon, wheel Friday and Saturday (leaving from the campground at 9 AM each day), return home Sunday. One day would take us along the route of the Cumbres and Toltec scenic railroad with a possible lunch stop at Osier, where the train stops for lunch. Due to the lack of nearby gas stations, we would need to carry extra gas to avoid a 12+ mile trip one way to a gas station from the campground.
I have a reservation at the Conejos River Campground which has RV sites and 4 Tuff-Shed like cabins for rent.
The Campground is located on Colorado Highway 17 approximately 12 miles west of Antonito, Colorado.
For other accommodation options go to http://www.coloradodirectory.com/places/ and search under Antonito.
Feel free to contact me if you have any questions. USFS Fall Colors Website Rio Grande NF Fall Colors Page
We will do a trip to the North of Highway 17 on Friday and save the loop along the train for Saturday. The first elk rifle season opens on Saturday and I figure there won't be so many hunters out right by the train. Two nice runs have been planned with some help from a friend that is very familiar with the area spending time there this summer.
Each trip is planned to be up to 60 miles of travel, so you will probably not need to carry extra gas on the trail. The reason I mention about extra gas is just to avoid a trip back to Antonito between the runs for gas.
Weather forecast as of 10/9/13:
- Thursday A 50 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 51. Breezy, with a south southwest wind 15 to 20 mph increasing to 20 to 25 mph in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 45 mph. New rainfall amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms.
- Thursday Night A chance of rain showers before 10pm, then a chance of snow showers between 10pm and midnight. Partly cloudy, with a low around 25. Breezy, with a west southwest wind 10 to 20 mph, with gusts as high as 30 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.
- Friday Mostly sunny, with a high near 51. West southwest wind 5 to 10 mph.
- Friday Night Mostly clear, with a low around 28. West southwest wind 5 to 10 mph becoming light.
- Saturday Sunny, with a high near 54. Calm wind becoming southwest around 5 mph in the afternoon.
- Saturday Night Mostly clear, with a low around 31. Southwest wind around 10 mph.
- Sunday Sunny, with a high near 57. Southwest wind around 10 mph.