This truck was a 2.5L 4 cyl when it started in '93. I bought it in'96 with 95,000 miles and drove it as a 4 cyl for 8 years. The move from 33" to 35" tires finally was too much for the 2.5L on the road, so the engine swap was done in late '04 with the help of Dan Shepley and other Hudson Valley 4 Wheelers club members. The swap was my mental and physical therapy while I was having Chemo treatments for 5 months.
- GM '02 4.3L Vortec V6 engine.
- AX-15 5-speed manual trans.
- NP231 t-case + 4:1+ 2/lo + SYE.
- Tom Wood drive shafts.
- Ford 8.8" rear axle w/ARB and Superior CroMo shafts.
- Dana 30 front axle w/ARB and Superior CroMo TJ style shafts.
- Warn front hub manual conversion kit.
- 4 wheel disk brakes.
- 4.88 gears.
- 35x12.5/15 BF Goodrich M/T KM2 tires.
- 15x7 alloy wheels (I added the yellow).
Body and Suspension
From it's stock height, the first lift was a 2.5" spring swap for a few yrs, then a Skyjacker 6" monoleaf kit for a while, then a Spring Over Axle change in '06.
- SOA w/1.5" RE springs.
- Home made front bumper.
- Olympic rear bumper (since 1997, first mod).
- Tomkin receiver rear tow hook.
- AtoZ Rocker Guards.
- CJ 'Jeep' tailgate (w/YJ swing and electric release).
- Flush mounted stock tail lights.
- Gen-Right rear corner guards.
- Xenon Flat Fender Flares.
Almost everything on the truck has been replaced or modified. Motor, rear axle, trans, front sheetmetal, bumpers, steering box (from a Durango), even the frame (rust), have all been replaced. The front axle and t-case have been taken apart a number of times for new internals. The only moving part with the true 175,000+ miles of the vehicle is the top half of the steering column.
- Completely hand made (by me) short cab soft top, using same fabric as Bestop buys.
- Warn M8000 winch with synthetic rope.
- York Onboard Air w/2.5 gal tank, air quick connects front and rear.
- Tom Woods t-case mounted disc parking brake (4.88 times the force).
- Staun automatic air-down deflaters set to 8PSI.
A lot of interior work was done over the years. The dashboard was replaced in 2010 with one from DoubleD Fab.
- Custom flat dashboard.
- Full Autometer gauges.
- JVC Media Player in home made console (like a Tuffy, only my way).
- 13" Grant GT steering wheel.
- Spare tire in rear bed (no rear seat) for a clean tailgate.